Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada
Online Peer Support Centre

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Treatment » anxiety issues

Discussion related to Treatment
16/02/2012 12:48:25 PM

cheryl
cheryl
Hello everyone, I am looking for advice, my husband is 6yrs since diagnosis, he's had surgeries, he did radiation therapy approximately 1 year ago and takes dilantin daily. what i am trying to find is something that he can take for anxiety. it has become a major problem for him and the dr's seem to not be offering anything that helps. is there anyone on this site that has a medication that they feel helped them with anxiety. he takes ativan occasionally but the dr's are reluctant to have him on it daily it seems. he has had a few different prescriptions but nothing has helped yet. we are going to the dr tomorrow so if there was any advice from anyone it would be appreciated. thanks!!!
0 permalink
03/08/2012 11:02:54 PM

Tom
Tom
Hi Cheryl, I know it has been a few months since your post but I haven't been following this board for a while. Have you found anything yet? I have had increasing anxiety issues since my surgery in Sept/10. To the point now that I find myself withdrawing. I've tried a variety of anti-depressants which have been no help. In Feb my N prescribed Gabapentin 300 mg once daily but it also didn't help. I did some surfing and found several online sites where BT survivors were swearing up and down the Gabapentin did help them but in significantly higher doses than I had been prescribed. Got the N to up my dose to 300 mg twice daily. I still can't say it is making any significant difference so I'm hoping that they will again up the dose when I see them in Sept. If you have found anything that works please let me know! Cheers,
Tom
0 permalink
14/10/2012 9:13:45 AM

cheryl
cheryl
Hi Tom, I haven't been following this board closely either, but no we are in the same situation. They have had him on valium the last two months now but it hasn't been helpful. Monday we see his dr. again he's back on the chemo because they found a third tumour this summer. I am going to see if they can change the dilantin. I'm really believing at this point the anxiety is minor seizures. I think it's auras that he's feeling and he's expressing it to everyone as anxiety. Otherwise I'm at a loss, I'm not sure we spent three hours at emergency today to try to get some help because his anxiety was so high today. After three hours without seeing a dr we left out of frustration. So, for over a year now we have been struggling with this. I'll post after Monday with an update on what his oncologist says about changing the dilantin.
0 permalink
14/10/2012 12:37:09 PM

cheryl
cheryl
Hi Tom, i forgot to say thank-you. I appreciate the information. I have googled Gabapentin and will find out what I can tomorrow. Thank-you again.
0 permalink
29/08/2016 1:27:07 PM

MarieG
MarieG
My daughter has been facing this issue as well. While I used to be completely against the consumption of marijuana during such cases, I have agreed to allow my 16 year old daughter to try out marijuana. Incidentally, a Canadian App has circulated allowing patients to order marijuana http://getdoobie.ca.

It is only for beta users, we have tried it, and so far has suited her well. However I am not sure if marijuana is the best option for her.

Anybody has experienced other paths which should ease anxiety?
0 permalink
20/09/2016 9:29:20 PM

Peer2Peer
Peer2Peer
I have a friend who has a medicinal marijuana licence and she gave me a little in the form of a rice krispie square to help with anxiety. It really did work. I realize this can't become a habitual thing but if the anxiety is really bad, I believe it's better to take than chemical drugs like oxazepam or lorazepam.
0 permalink
24/09/2016 11:01:48 AM

Johnson
Johnson
My husband takes medicinal marijuana and it totally helps with anxiety, sleep and nausea. He takes 1 ml of marijuana oil right at bed time - then goes right to sleep. He does not have the traditional stoned feeling of taking marijuana but gets all the benefits of it to help him with his day.
+1 permalink
03/10/2016 9:15:57 AM

Peer2Peer
Peer2Peer
I am wondering if anyone who is a caregiver could offer some advice on how to copy with anxiety. I am feeling so stressed and anxious...I try breathing exercises, talking to friends...nothing seems to help. I have a prescription for anti-anxiety meds but haven't taken them because I was told they are pretty strong and I can't afford to be sleeping deeply in case my husband needs me or has a seizure. Any help you have to offer would be very much appreciated.
0 permalink
04/10/2016 9:49:08 AM

Johnson
Johnson
The way I dealt with anxiety is therapy - lots of it and medication. The medication is not the cure but it definitely helps you to function. Work with your Dr on this and there are lots of different medications out there that can help and not make your drowsy.

My therapist helped me deal with my fear of my husband having a seizure and that was a huge weight off my shoulders. She made me understand that there is nothing I can do to stop him from having a seizure - he is going to have one no matter what I do. If he has the seizure while I'm sleeping - I'm very confident you will wake up from it. Also she made me watch Youtube videos of dogs having seizures - if you can believe it. This helped me feel more comfortable with seizures - I didn't think it would work but it did.

I believe we will always be anxious because of the severity of this cancer but there are coping mechanisms - you need to find the right one for you - seeing your Dr is usually the best place to start.
0 permalink

Home » Treatment » anxiety issues