Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada
Online Peer Support Centre

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Pediatric Support » Schools to support challenges of brain tumour kids

For everything related to Pediatric Support
04/04/2016 3:53:22 PM

Karla G
Karla G
Hi all. My son was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma at age 3 1/2. It is now 4 years since diagnosis and he is doing great overall. He had 2 craniotomies, 6 months of chemo with 3 stem cell transplants, then 31 radiation treatments. We have many small challenges, but fortunate to have clear scans since treatment was complete. My son was treated at the Alberta Children's Hospital.

I am researching school options for the future (grade 4 or 5). My son does not have 1 area that is a disability, but he has challenges that are a combination of executive functioning, processing speed, motor skills, that require him to need extra help in school. I find even though he has a medical coding to get extra support, he does not necessarily get all the support he needs. I would like to find out what kind of support others are getting and if they have gone to a charter or private school to get the support. In Calgary we have many options for charter and private schools, none have stood out to me as "the one". I have looked at the private schools for learning disabilities, and I'm not sure those are a right fit. I would love to hear any recommendation for a type of school or a specific Calgary schools that are a fit for our brain kiddos, thank you!!
0 permalink
07/04/2016 8:27:45 PM

Johnson
Johnson
Hello Karla, I wish I could answer your question but have you spoken to a social worker in the unit where your son is/was being treated. They would have been in contact with other families in your situation and area and could possibly help you find the right school Your son sounds like an amazing kid who is strong and able to take on the world. Let us know what you have found out so to share with others going through situations like yours. Wish you all the best.
0 permalink

Home » Pediatric Support » Schools to support challenges of brain tumour kids